[gst-devel] Wil GST_MESSAGE_DURATION always appear on a bus?

Edward Hervey bilboed at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 09:55:22 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 00:39 -0800, wl2776 wrote:
> I am using the latest OSSBuild. Just tried loading The Big Buck Bunny ogg
> movie, downloaded from the official mirror
> (http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_480p_stereo.ogg),
> and noticed that GST_MESSAGE_DURATION doesn't appear.
>
> My player relies on this message and calls _query_duration after its
> appearance.
> Is it correct?

  The definition of GST_MESSAGE_DURATION IS "The duration of a pipeline
changed. The application can get the new duration with a duration
query." There's no guarantee it'll be emitted.

  The standard practice for querying duration is to wait for the
pipeline to have prerolled (PAUSED or PLAYING) and then query the
duration.

  Edward.