[gst-devel] Audio noise filter ?

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:06:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Edward Hervey <bilboed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 10:28 +0200, Nicolas Hennion wrote:
> > Is there a plugin to filter the noise of an audio stream ? I want to
> > encode a voice (from a microphone) without the noise environment.
>
>   We don't have a native one in gstreamer. Maybe there is a ladspa
> filter you could use through gst-ladspa.
>
>  The problem with a one-pass filter though is that you have to guess
> yourself what the proper settings are.
>
>  If someone's up to it, a great filter to wrap (or rewrite?) into a
> gstreamer element would be audacity's noise filter which comes in two
> parts:
>  * A noise profiler : you select a portion of audio which has almost
> only noise (i.e. when someone isn't speaking for example)

In theory it should be easy to automate the process by using a VAD algorithm
as for itu-t rec. g729 section B.3 (I'm working on an implementation based
on the reference code, not yet at a presentable stage so far).

>  * The actual noise remover, which uses the settings from the noise
> profiler.

It's possible to apply an high-pass-filter after the estimates given from
the VAD detector of above. Do we already have such an element? I just wish a
day was 48 hours long to finish all of this..

Regards