[gst-devel] Trying to write a plugin but autogen.sh fails

Giorgio Buffa buffagio+mail at gmail.com
Wed May 19 13:29:20 CEST 2010

Hello.

I'm trying to write my first GStreamer's plugin, following the suggestion in
"GStreamer Plugin Writer's Guide", chapter 3. I'm having a trouble with
autogen.sh

I've used tools/make_element, and adjusted the src/Makefile.am has stated by
the mentioned guide. When I launch autogen.sh it fails! I have no idea how
to handle this situation.

Here you are the messages autogen.sh prints on the console:

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: running: libtoolize --copy --force
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros
in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
autoreconf: running: /usr/local/override_order/bin/autoconf --force
configure.ac:29: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:50: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_SUBST
autoreconf: /usr/local/override_order/bin/autoconf failed with exit status:
1
autogen.sh failed

I'm working on Mac OS X 10.6.3
The strange path /usr/local/override_order/bin/ is because autotools shipped
with Snow Leopard are a bit dated. I've installed m4, autoconf, automake and
libtool in /usr/local/override_order , which is first in my PATH environment
variable (I do not want to change the "standard" /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
order). So my PATH variable is
/usr/local/override_order/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

I've build and installed:
* gstreamer-0.10.29
* gst-plugins-base-0.10.29
* gst-plugins-good-0.10.22