[gst-devel] Caps problem when writing encoder/decoder

Hunterwood markus.jagerskogh at imentum.se
Tue May 25 13:11:49 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply, it solved the problem!

The "caps=NULL"-error in the setcaps-function was actually due to the use
of:
  base_caps = gst_caps_copy (gst_pad_get_pad_template_caps (otherpad));

It seems as if the the caps returned by gst_pad_get_pad_template_caps
changed after a call to gst_pad_set_caps:

The  first time I recieved:
  caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true,
width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=(int)48000, channels=(int)1
The second time it was:
  caps = audio/x-raw-int, endianness=(int)1234, signed=(boolean)true,
width=(int)16, depth=(int)16, rate=, channels= (where "rate" and "channels"
had no type nor value).

So I created the caps by gst_caps_new_simple instead.

I still had some problems after that, but the getcaps-function solved it!

At the moment the getcaps-function returns the caps created by
gst_caps_new_simple. Is this a good way to solve it, or what do you suggest?

/Markus