[gst-devel] Using gstreamer to transmit H264 file over RTP

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Mon May 31 09:46:20 CEST 2010

> > I am trying to transmit an H264 file over a network using RTP streaming of
> > gstreamer. My pipeline is:
> >
> > Sender:
> >  gst-launch-0.10  filesrc location=akiyo_qcif.264 ! h264parse ! rtph264pay
> > pt=96 ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=42050 sync=false
> >
> > Receiver:
> > gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc port=42050 ! rtph264depay  ! filesink
> > location=/home/mrplus/Desktop/June/test.264
>
> looks like gsth264parse (function gst_h264_parse_update_src_caps)  is
> converting the codec configuration data to a "codec-data" field for
> the caps. Relying on a signalling/control protocol (very often outside
> GStreamer scope) the payloader is not transmitting them again and thus
> your decoding side looses essential data. A quick fix is to manually

The fix is since quite some time in SVN; you need to enable
config-interval on the rtph264pay element to multiplex NAL7/NAL8 into
the stream.

This fix has been in a couple of releases; but there was a minor issue
in the last good that got fixed again in svn.

> I think it's possible to modify the payloader so that the whole
> Gstreamer could become a little more network streaming friendly.. we'd
> just need an option which will enable converting the codec data of the
> caps into a buffer: we wouldn't then need any signalling/control
> protocols to setup a simple streaming test.

Sending this in the RTP payloader (same problem for h264 and mpeg4); is
working prefectly as long as you use RTP/ES. If you switch to something
else; you're still not care free.

Therefore, I am planning to move/copy this re-multiplexing into the
parser elements {mpeg4|h264}parse. This would allow RTP/TS, TS and ES
streams to work perfectly.

--
  greetz, marc
In specifications, Murphy's Law supersedes Ohm's.