[gst-devel] how to use buffer timestamp to play video?

Feng Ye fye at broadcom.com
Mon Nov 8 21:10:01 CET 2010

Hello,

Although this is a very basic question, I can't find correct document to it.
The plugin writer's guide (Chapter 14 Clocking) says that for a sink element it should use gst_element_wait(), but none of the plugins in the base/good/ugly packages use this.
Some code example (ximagesink, gstbaseguadiosink, etc.) implemented a callback get_time() and render(). It seems that the wait is done in gstreamer. Plus, get_time() is not mentioned in the plugin writer's guide, some online document says "It only makes sense to implement the GstBaseSrcClass.get_times()<http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer-libs/html/GstBaseSrc.html#GstBaseSrcClass.get-times> function if the source is a live source". I want to play from a file, not a live source.

Thanks,
Feng