[gst-devel] Camerabin2 Plans

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:24:24 CET 2010

2010/11/12 thiagossantos at gmail.com <thiagossantos at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> there has been some plans on the wiki for refactoring camerabin in an
> attempt to simplify its internal design. After some discussion on IRC
> lately, we've decided to put those ideas on a plan for implementing
> camerabin2 instead of refactoring camerabin.
>
> As the design is different from the current camerabin and we were planning
> to break some of the API, a new element sounded better as old applications
> can continue using camerabin.
>
> Anyway, this plan has been put up on the wiki [1] and comments and
> contributions are very welcome. We'd like to try to gather what features
> potential users expect from it, any feedback on the new design or problems
> with the current camerabin would help us providing a better element.

Hi,

Something I miss in the current design is the option to use the same
element both as audio and video source. Actually you need to use 2
source elements, the video one from the camera and an audio one. My
use case is very particular, although I think it can be very useful
for other people too.
I'm currently using camerabin to preview and capture from DV cameras
(dv1394src and dshowvideosrc)  and therefore the audio and video comes
out from the same bin, which demux and decode the input providing 2
source pads (video and audio) and can't be used with camerabin.  My
app doesn't supports audio at the moment, but this is more or less how
it should be done with the current design (I'm very bad with drawings,
but I hope the idea is clear enough :))

src-> demuxer -> video_decoder--------------------------------->
camerabin_video_src

                      ' ->audio ->appsink                    appsrc->
camerabin_audio_src

Currently, when you set the audio source element in camerabin it tries
to add (or replace) it  in the pipeline, failing if the video source
is the same element.
I hope to have explained it clear enough :P

Andoni