[gst-devel] Mixing silence suppressed RTP into a continuous stream

Joakim Koskela joakim.koskela at hiit.fi
Fri Nov 26 12:45:42 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm having problems mixing an RTP stream with something else (testing with an
mp3 file), as the RTP does silence suppression (sending packets only when
noise is actually made). It seems that mixing is done only when *all* sound
sources have data to contribute, leading to a chunky output.

What I would like to have is a continuous output stream into which sound is
mixed from different sources as it becomes available. Seems like a really
basic thing, but I somehow couldn't find anything using the search terms I
thought relevant.

Any help is appreciated, even just tips on what to look at more closely (the
adder or the sources) or keywords to search for. The pipeline i'm using is:

filesrc location=file.mp3 ! decodebin ! audioconvert  ! audioresample !
audio/x-raw-int,channels=1,rate=8000 ! adder name=mixer \
udpsrc port=%s caps="application/x-rtp,media=(string)audio,clock-
rate=(int)8000,encoding-name=(string)PCMA" ! gstrtpbin ! rtppcmadepay !
alawdec ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw-int,channels=1,rate=8000
! mixer. \
mixer. ! audioconvert  ! audioresample ! audio/x-raw-int,channels=1,rate=8000
! alawenc ! rtppcmapay ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=8000

br, j