[gst-devel] Rethinking --disable-gst-debug option in gstreamer configure script

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 22:13:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Crane, Matt <mattcrane at tycoint.com> wrote:
> I am an engineer in a group that has developed a gstreamer application that
> handles the recording of dozens of video streams in a single server.  Recent
> load tests we’ve run with our application have revealed that disabling debug
> logging during compile time via use of the –disable-gst-debug option in the
> gstreamer configure script frees up about 10% of the CPU cycles on our
> target hardware configuration (CPU idle time with debugging enabled = ~50%;
> CPU idle time with debugging disabled = ~60%).  While we would like to
> realize the performance improvement that would come from disabling (much of
> the) debug logging, we would still like to log ERROR and WARNING level
> messages on deployed production systems.

Totally agree, that's why I wrote my own:
http://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp/blob/master/log.c
http://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp/blob/master/log.h

Not only do I want the errors are warning to be printed, but stored in
the syslog. And more over, even if the systems's debugging
capabilities are disabled, I still would like to enable debugging on
my plug-in (override). And finally, I want a higher level that all
others that *always* print messages (not on the syslog though), in
order add logging only in certain areas (I call this pr_test).

Right now there's nothing like that on GStreamer, which is not ideal
for embedded systems.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras