[gst-devel] How to decrease CPU consumation for audio recording?

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 19:37:47 CEST 2010

2010/10/7 Sebastian Dröge <sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk>:
> On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 18:39 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> [...]
>> My speculation is that so much contention trashes the cache, that's
>> why the performance degrades exponentially.
>> [...]
>
> Of course performance degrades exponentially if you increase the number
> of buffers exponentially ;)
>
> Unless I'm missing something, your x-axis has a logarithmic scale, which
> would make your exponential curve a linear one in number of buffers.

That is a good point, if you plot this per-buffer, the graph looks the
other way around, however, the queue version on ARM converges to 0.8
as opposed to 0.1, so, just introducing the queue degrades the
performance by a factor of 8 per-buffer.

I'll re-run the test with linear buffer size progression, but first
I'm going to try to generate some contention, to see if something more
interesting happens.

--
Felipe Contreras