[gst-devel] Choppy Audio over UDP

Wes Miller wmiller at sdr.com
Mon Oct 18 20:03:36 CEST 2010

Marco et al,

Ok, new pipelines with rtpbin.  These work though I am not sure they are
completely correct.

SENDER <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

gst-launch-0.10 -v gstrtpbin name=rtpbin \
         alsasrc do-timestamp=true \
            ! queue \
            ! audioresample \
            ! audioconvert \
            ! dmaienc_aac outputBufferSize=10000000 outputformat=2 \
            ! rtpmp4apay         \
            ! rtpbin.send_rtp_sink_1 \
         rtpbin.send_rtp_src_1 \
            ! udpsink port=5002 host=$1  ts-offset=0 name=artpsink \
         rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_1 \
            ! udpsink port=5003 host=$1 sync=false async=false
name=artcpsink \
         udpsrc port=5007 name=artpsrc \
            ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_1

RECEIVER <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 gst-launch-0.10  -v gstrtpbin name=rtpbin latency=2000 \
         udpsrc
caps="application/x-rtp,media=audio,clock-rate=44100,encoding-name=MP4A-LATM,payload=96"
port=5002 \
            ! rtpbin.recv_rtp_sink_1 \
         rtpbin. \
            ! rtpmp4adepay  \
            ! decodebin     \
            ! audioconvert  \
            ! audioresample \
            ! alsasink sync=true \
         udpsrc port=5002   \
            ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_1 \
         rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_1 \
            ! udpsink port=5003 host=$1 sync=false async=false

I am still getting playback that is too fast and choppy.  Sounds like the
receiver pipe is just playing each packet too fast.  I don't think I'm
loosing any of the music, it just plays each packet too fast and has a dead
spot in between them.  Imagine the Moody Blues sung by the Chipmunks with
hiccups.

So, first, do I haave the ports mapped correctly?  Am I missing any
connections between the rtpbin in's and out's?

Secondly, is there a retimesynch trick I can use?  Replacing alsasink with
fakesink -v tells me that the packets are timestamped and that the durations
match the time between timestamps.

I really intend to replace the mp3 player I am using with a microphone.  The
Leopardboard only has linelevel input so I can't use a mic right now.  If
passing speech, would I be more likely to hear the speed=up and gaps?  Will
speex through an rtpxxxpayloader still cause me to need 4k of Caps?

Thanks,

Wes