[gst-devel] Can we use gstreamer bad, ugly and ffmpeg packages ( installed using binary rpms) without any legal problems

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sat Oct 23 23:53:01 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 15:32:47, praveenya kumar wrote:
[...]
> My question is, Can we
> use these packages ( bad, ugly and ffmpeg) without any legal or licensing
> issues? If not, Please tell the legal way of using them.

 That depends quite a lot on which plugins you use, and what you want to do
with them.

* If you want to link GStreamer with proprietary software and don't want to
distribute your source, you don't only have to look at the GStreamer license
(GPL), but also that of supporting libraries (e.g. codec libraries).  In
particular, ffmpeg (and therefore gst-ffmpeg) is GPL.

* If you use plugins from -ugly, look very carefully at which plugins you use.
It may have licensing difficulties, but more often it has patent difficulties.
In particular, mp3, H.264, and AC3 will give you trouble.  Fluendo sells a set
of GStreamer plugins with proper patent licenses.

* Plugins from -bad have the same status as these from -good, they're just not
of the same quality.

 Hope this helps.

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540