[gst-devel] Reduce latency for a MJPEG over UDP multicast pipe

STJME jonas.melin at saabgroup.com
Mon Oct 25 11:17:12 CEST 2010

Yea, we have now implemented a "low latency raw UDP plugin" that we uses and
really get down the latency. Around 100ms from the photon hits the CCD till
the pixel illuminates on the screen. Using MJPEG and UDP multicast. We will
use this transport plugin for now. We did not manage to tweek RTP to be much
faster. The latency appeared to come from the receiver side.

Hopefully we'll give this low latency plug back to gstreamer community.
Perhaps someone else would like to have it :-) But, it does not follow any
standard or anything. Just a simple protocol to fragment the UDP packets
(they are sometimes larger than the allowed UDP frame ~63k) and put them
back together again on the other side.