[gst-devel] WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "xvimagesink"

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 20:24:50 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 00:35 +0530, sudarshan bisht wrote:

> Now the reason of this could be the way you installed Gstreamer and
> related packages.
>
> In short I can advise you to install Gstreamer again
> by downloading latest tar balls and while installation use
> "--prefix=/usr "  so that all the plugins sit in default location
> (/usr/lib).

I'd advise not to install from tarballs unless you really know what
you're doing. I'd strongly recommend you use packages instead. If you
install stuff from tarballs into a system prefix, no one is going to be
able to (or willing to) help you, and sooner or later things will break.

If you still have the tarball source trees around, do 'sudo make
uninstall' in all of them now and install the normal packages. If you
want newer packages than the system packages, use the GStreamer PPA for
Ubuntu.

Alternatively, use an uninstalled setup (see GStreamer FAQ), with git or
with tarballs (if you use tarballs, you'll need to rename the module
directories to strip the versions).

Now, the reason it can't find xvimagesink is likely either that the
gst-launch from /usr/bin is used, and you don't have the gstreamer0.10-x
package installed (check with 'which gst-launch'), OR you didn't have
the required X11 headers (-dev packages) installed when you built your
gst-plugins-base tarball. Check the output of ./configure in -base.
Install the needed dependencies with 'apt-get build-dep
gstreamer0.10-x'.

Cheers
 -Tim