[gst-devel] Debugging pipeline locks

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Sep 1 11:16:31 CEST 2010

On 26.08.2010 10:42, Antoni Silvestre Padrós wrote:
> Hi, I am still trying to figure out how to receive different payloads
> using gstrtpbin, any idea regarding that would be really helpful.
>
> On the other hand, to be more precise in the question I don't if
> anyone has a method to debug why a pipeline is locked, I mean when it
> is in the playing state but for some reason it's stopped waiting on a
> pad to receive data. It would be really useful to be able to debug
> which pad is causing this state and have a way to fix it.

I have be using GST_DEBUG_BIN_TO_DOT_FILE and in the image look for e.g.
unlinked or flushing pads. Also checking the GST_DEBUG log at level :2
(warnings) is a good first check. If the pipeline is not too complex you
can break in gdb and ehck what all the threads are doing. This is
difficult as it is hard to spot a lock that has no chance of becoming
release automatically soon.

> Also, is there a way to have a pipeline like this (i've just made this
> pipeline up in order to show the concept but I haven't tested it):
>
> avimux name=mux
> pulsesrc ! lame ! queue ! mux.
> v4l2src ! queue ! x264 ! mux.
> mux. ! queue ! filesink location=video.avi
>
> That when it does not receive both the audio and the video at the same
> time but only one of them the pipeline doesn't get locked?

One more queue after x264 maybe.

Stefan