[gst-devel] H264 network streaming

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:16:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run gstrtpbin over a network, in particular,
> the examples
>   server-v4l2-H264-alsasrc-PCMA.sh
>   client-H264-PCMA.sh
> I'm using gst-plugins-good-0.10.20 (latest version I think)
>
> I get widely varying results.
>   * video (or audio) data freezes.
>   * the pipeline spontaneously breaks
>     (ERROR: from element
> /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoAudioSink:autoaudiosink0/GstPulseSink:autoaudiosink0-actual-sink-pulse:
> pa_stream_writable_size() failed: Connection terminated)
>   * no video (or audio) at all
>
> What's the best way to debug this?

running your pipeline after setting GST_DEBUG to a proper value (I suggest
you to begin with 2) will give you some hints about what's going wrong.
Increasing the number increases the verbosity.

> In particular the last case where I never get any video data displayed, I
> can see lots of it being shipped to my client (rtp + rtcp packets all look
> good).  How can I discover why there is no video?

If you're dealing with the network, checking for lost packets is another
good starting point. Even if you've more than 80% of the video packets being
properly received, you may not see anything because of no key frames ever
being completely received.

Regards