[gst-devel] Stopping and restarting complicated pipeline with muxing

BillBock bbock at digitalforcetech.com
Tue Sep 21 00:23:35 CEST 2010

All:

 I’m hoping my issue is some kind of basic misunderstanding of GStreamer
design philosophy.  I have an application with a fairly complicated
pipeline.  The pipeline has two sources, v4l2src and alsasrc.  It can do
simultaneous video capture (without muxing audio), video streaming (using
tcpsink), individual frame capture, audio capture, and audio streaming.  The
various branches of the pipeline all end at fakesinks.

 If I want to capture video, I block the src pads of v4l2src and alsasrc,
unlink stuff, insert an encoder element, a muxer element, and a filesink
element, link them to the pipeline, set them to playing, and unblock the src
pads.  When I’m ready to stop capturing, I again block the src pads, unlink
and relink elements so that the encoder, muxer, and filesink are linked to
each other, but not to the rest of the elements in the pipeline, send an EOS
to the encoder, unlink and set the elements to null, remove them from the
pipeline, link stuff back to a fakesink, and unblock the src pads.  I do
similar things with the other functions.  Everything works great
(simultaneously and successively) without general stream errors or internal
data flow errors.

 It’s when I try to do muxing that I have issues.  It will usually work the
first time, except that when unblocking the src pads after reconfiguring the
pipeline to end in fakesinks again when done with capture, no more buffers
pass through the video source.

 If I strip down the pileline to simplify it and only do muxing of video and
audio (so, no tee elements at all in the pipeline, for example) then
successive capturing of muxed video and audio works.  I’ve done up to 30
captures in a row.  Whenever I stop capturing in this case, I have to send
the EOS events on the video and and audio encoders before blocking the video
and audio src pads (so I also don’t unlink/relink stuff so that section of
the pipeline is off by itself).  I always get a couple general stream errors
in this case, but everything continues to work afterwards and I can start
and stop again, over and over.

 I’m hoping for suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong.  I’d be happy to
post code if that would help.