[gst-devel] rtsp server MP2T-ES, vlc and mplayer

cneerf2m at inf.h-brs.de cneerf2m at inf.h-brs.de
Fri Sep 24 15:49:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

I tried to use the gst-rtsp-server to stream the video of a camera to vlc,
mplayer and my vdr.

I succeded in streaming the video to the totem player using the gstreamer
backend but not to any other players. Those players all
reported: "video/MP2T-ES failed, RTP payload format unknown"

BTW all the players use the mediaLive library so this might be an issue of
this library and not gstreamer. I'm not an expert in media streaming.

The 'rtpmp2tpay' plugin reports MP2T-ES as the enconding type for the rtp
payload. This information ist used by the gst-rtsp-server to create the sdp
information. So the sdp contains the line 'a=rtpmap:33 MP2T-ES/90000' which
is parsed by mediaLive. But mediaLive does not know how to handle MP2T-ES and
closes the connection.

I changed the 'rtpmp2tpay' plugin to report MP2T as enconding type and not
MP2T-ES and now everything works just fine. mplayer, vlc and the freeboxtv
plugin for vdr can show the stream.

Regards,

Chris