[gst-devel] Using playbin to read a file being constantly updated?

Vadim Zeitlin vz-gstreamer at zeitlins.org
Mon Sep 27 15:30:54 CEST 2010

 Hello,

 Can I use playbin to play back the contents of a file which is being
updated while it's being played? I didn't find any mention of this in the
documentation but the following simple test doesn't work for me:

	% gst-launch-0.10 videotestsrc ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! \
		filesink location=/tmp/videotest.ogg & sleep 5; \
	  gst-launch-0.10 -v playbin uri=file:///tmp/videotest.ogg

It starts playing well enough but sooner or later (after about 40 seconds
of playback, i.e. much longer than 5 second initial delay) it stops with

	Got EOS from element "playbin0".

message. Does anybody know why does this happen and, more importantly, if
there is any way to avoid it?

 And if this can't be made to work, I'd like to know if anybody can advise
me about a better way to achieve my goal, which is to play the output of
v4l2src using playbin while also saving the stream to a file. I thought
that just saving the web cam stream to a file and playing it would be the
simplest way to do it but if there is a better solution I'd like to hear
about it.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ