[gst-devel] receiving and displaying video streams in a non-GTK application

Paul E. Rybski prybski at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 29 16:21:32 CEST 2010

Hi,
	I've just recently discovered gstreamer and have been exploring its use
for transmitting audio and video from one linux machine to another.  So
far I've only been exploring the use of gst-launch but now want to try
to receive the video stream in a separate application rather than using
xvimagesink.  This is complicated by the fact that I'm using FLTK
(http://www.fltk.org/) rather than GTK for the GUI.  (The reasons for
using FLTK are essentially historical and it's currently impractical for
me to consider throwing away my old legacy GUI code and rewriting it
from scratch in GTK.)  I can see two different paths that I can try to
follow to achieve my goal:

1) My first option is to try to integrate the gstreamer API directly
into my fltk application.  I've started to look at the documentation for
how to encode gstreamer pipelines in a C application but one thing that
currently escapes me is how I get access to the raw uncompressed frames
of video at the end of the pipeline.  The way I understand it, I should
be able to encode my pipeline so that the application receives the video
stream from a socket and decodes it (I'm using smokeenc) but then I'm
completely unclear as to how I might copy the image into a buffer that I
can feed into an FLTK widget for drawing.  I'm also completely unclear
how easy or difficult it would be to integrate the GTK main event loop
with the FLTK main event loop as the gstreamer API seems to be heavily
wedded to GTK.  I have no experience programming with GTK at the moment
either.

2) My second option is to keep the client gst-launch command as it
stands now but instead of piping the video to xvimagesink, I create a
new local socket (or pipe) and shove the frames of video into those
(perhaps encoded as jpegs) and then have my FLTK application receive the
data from this pipe, decode each jpeg, and display it.  This seems
somewhat easier to achieve because then all I need to do is to figure
out how the data is encoded into the socket so I can write the code to
decode it.

Any thoughts, advice, or experiences that people could share with this?
 I'd kind of like to do the first option because it's conceptually
simpler for the end-user of my system but I'm concerned that I might end
up needing to rewrite my entire GUI in GTK which I'd rather not have to
do at this time.

Here are the gst-launch commands that I'm using right now.

Server:

gst-launch-0.10 -vm oggmux name=mux ! filesink location=movie.ogg v4lsrc
! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! tee name=t_vnet ! queue !
ffmpegcolorspace ! smokeenc qmin=1 qmax=50 ! udpsink port=5000
host=localhost sync=false t_vnet. ! queue ! videorate !
'video/x-raw-yuv' ! theoraenc ! mux. alsasrc device=hw:0,0 !
audio/x-raw-int,rate=48000,channels=2,depth=16 ! tee name=t_anet ! queue
! audioconvert ! flacenc ! udpsink port=4000 host=localhost sync=false
t_anet. !queue ! audioconvert ! vorbisenc ! mux.

Client:

gst-launch-0.10 -vm tee name=vid -vm udpsrc port=5000 ! smokedec !
xvimagesink vid. !tee name=aud udpsrc port=4000 ! flacdec ! audioconvert
! audioresample ! alsasink sync=false aud.

I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS 64-bit using the gstreamer packages that come
with that distro.  I've found that these commands also work for me on
Ubuntu 10.4 LTS 64-bit.

Thanks,

-Paul

--
Paul E. Rybski, Ph.D., Systems Scientist
The Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University