Memory leak after just call gst_init()

raul cordeiro holanda raulhcordeiro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 07:32:49 PDT 2011

>>* I'm fronting a problem of memory leak (that i detect with valgrind*>>* test tool) on my app and after some time i discover that*>>* if i just init the gstreamer lib (with gst_init()) and after finalize*>>* it (sith gst_deinit()) the memory leak is the same. After*>>* test my app without gst_* calls, no memory leak is detected. So, after*>>* search on web, i found some people with the same*>>* problem and no solutions shown, how i see on topic below of*>>* gstreamer-devel (and some others)*>>* *>>* http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/quot-Possibly-lost-quot-memory-shown-by-valgrind-during-gst-init-check-td972463.html*>>* *>>* I must say that i set the env vars*>>* *>>* G_SLICE=always-malloc *>>* G_DEBUG=gc-friendly*>>* *>>* So, i'd like to know if it is really a know-bug or it's a wrong lib*>>* use of my part. If it's a using problem, someone has*>>* tips for solution?*>>* *>>* I really be grateful for some help/tips.*

> My reply from back then is still true. gst_init() does a number of
> one-time allocations which gst_deinit() doesn't/can't clean up, esp.
> inside GObject. You may want to use GStreamer's gst.supp valgrind
> suppression file from the common module to suppress these kind of leaks,
> just like our own unit tests do when they run under valgrind.

> Cheers
> -Tim

Hi Tim,

In advance, thanks for the fast answer.
I understand your answer but in my tests, the memory leak has a variable
size and
according to your answer, the memory leak's size should be fixed. I run the
same simple
test many times and always a different size is show by valgrind.
After see that, I try run my full app with pipelines and everything inside
them. The memory leak
continue growing and valgrind (already with gst.supp file of the gstreamer
git tree) show me
some others leaks, mainly on bus_* calls and plugin_* calls. is it too a
normal behavior?
My app make many pipelines and finish them with set_state(NULL) and with
unref calls.

Some others tips? Thanks in advance for some help!

--
Raul Holanda Cordeiro
Celular: +55 (85) 8863-6877