Automatic time alignment by signal analysis

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 20 10:52:38 PDT 2011

On 04/20/2011 01:08 PM, Sean McNamara wrote:
> It may not be what you're looking for (no integration with Gstreamer),
> but PulseAudio has code in "module-combine" to:
>
> 1. Combine two separate sinks into one virtual sink. Example: two sound cards.
> 2. Dynamically calculate the timing deviation, on the fly, and adapt
> to keep the two sinks in sync by resampling one of them
> 3. Do software mixing on the two streams to combine them into one
> stream that then becomes the output stream of the virtual sink.

That's very interesting, but also very different from my application.
PulseAudio is determining clock skew by counting the samples processed by
each device and watching that one of them processes faster than the other.

I am trying to combine two independent recordings after recording is
complete, and the two recordings may have started and stopped at
substantially different times.  To determine the correct alignment, the
program must compare the contents of the two signals.

--Ben