GStreamer + Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1120

wally bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 08:45:26 PDT 2011

This is useful, but is not a general solution as the mapping of inputs to
number is card/device dependent.  While it is useful if you never change
capture devices it doesn't really help an application that expects to use a
"random" v4l2 capture device.

The gst tuner interface is supposed to be the way to do it, but I'm finding
it unreliable at changing the norm form the PAL default on power up to the
NTSC mode I need.  It seems to change the norm but the pipeline fails to
start after the change.  If I rerun the program it works the second time
since the unsuccessful first run changed the norm.

Using v4l2-ctl -s ntsc in an "onboot" cron script is a workaround.  If you
use PAL video shouldn't be an issue, I've yet to encounter a v4l or v4l2
device that defaults to NTSC on power up.

As far as I know there is no way to select the video input or norm in a
gst-launch command.

v4l2-ctl -n will list the card input function and number so you can see what
number is the input you want.

Playing with v4l2-ctrl and the four capture devices currently active on my
system I see the gst tuner interface
seems to have set Video Standard = 0x0000b000 NTSC-M/M-JP/M-KR whereas
v4l2-ctl -s ntsc-M sets 0x00001000.  I wonder if this has anything to do
with the pipeline not starting?