Webcam URI

Steve Cookson steve.cookson at sca-uk.com
Fri Aug 5 07:52:38 PDT 2011

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I am writing a medical video application for live surgical examinations, eg
for endoscopies or laparoscopies. The application is written in wxPerl which
uses an API called wxMediaCtrl as a GStreamer front end.

The C++ code is shown here:

http://read.pudn.com/downloads69/sourcecode/embed/247385/wxWidgets-2.8.0/src
/unix/mediactrl.cpp__.htm

While the video playback from a file works fine, the functionality for
playing a webcam (wxGStreamerMediaBackend::Load (URI version)) does not. It
seems that the webcam is opened/loaded but no image appears.  If I use a
valid webcam name, I get no reaction, but if I use an invalid webcam name
the application crashes.  I am trying to track the API calls through
mediactrl.cpp which starts with this call, but should there be the
equivalent of "play" for a webcam?

Does anyone have or can you point me to a piece of Linux c++ code that plays
a Linux webcam (eg file:///dev/video0)?

Any code or other advice would be much appreciated

Regards

Steve