How do I get the latest release of gstreamer?

wally_bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 10:59:15 PDT 2011

Noe Nieto [http://percepcionunitaria.org]] wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I want to do some test with the new rtmp plugins, but it seems that Fedora
> 15 does not ship the the rtmpsink element. Do I have to compile gstreamer
> by
> hand in order to test it?
>
> is there a way to automatically build gstreamer latest?
>
> *Noe Nieto

I would also like to know if its practical to build a "parallel" version of
the "latest" gstreamer I could link my application against and not break the
version that came with my distribution (Ubuntu 10.04) and all the apps
depending on it?

I've tried the Lucid PPA version, and first time it hosed my system, later I
tried on a "throw-away" system and it was missing pieces that caused some
apps to not work, and it was missing one of the plugins I used :(