OSS using camerabin

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Fri Dec 2 12:31:40 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Thiago Sousa Santos
<thiago.sousa.santos at collabora.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 22:07 -0500, Josh Doe wrote:
>> I'd like to find OSS using camerabin, or even camerabin2. The only one
>> I know of is cheese...
>
> Cheese has a branch for each of those, indeed. You can also take a look
> at -bad/examples/camerabin[2] for some code.
>
> Are you looking for something specific? Any problems using them?

I haven't started using it yet, but I was considering it for a simple
application to capture video and stills from scientific/industrial
cameras, like GigE Vision (aravis) or Camera Link. I want to be sure
the raw video is saved without modification (no scaling, colorspace
conversions, etc.), but because the video is high bit-depth I need to
apply gain/offset adjustment for viewing purposes (viewfinder). For
camerabin2 I see the default camerabinsrc does the following:

videosrc ! cspconv ! srcfilter ! cspconv ! capsfilter ! crop ! scale ! \
capsfilter ! tee name=t
   t. ! ... (viewfinder pad)
   t. ! output-selector name=outsel
       outsel. ! (image pad)
       outsel. ! (video pad)

Without creating a custom camerabinsrc, I'm not sure if I'm guaranteed
to have unmodified frames sent to the video pad. For performing video
level adjustment, I think setting my videolevel element (or bin) to
viewfinder-filter would do the job.

Thanks,
-Josh