Control I-frame Size

Michael Joachimiak mjoachimiak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 05:05:34 PST 2011

AFAIK There is no way you can decrease bitrate for initial I-frame since
there is no frames before that frame to serve for prediction.
The only way at that point is to use higher QP or to use different encoding
standard.

cyclic intra macroblock refresh can help you to remove bitrate fluctuation
on I-frames but still first frame has to be intra predicted (has to  be I).

2011/12/4 Umakant Goyal <umakantgoyal1 at gmail.com>

> Thanks Michael, My Problem is that initial I-Frame size (bitrate) is very
> high. I want to reduce the size of initial I-Frame.
>
> How can i force encoder to do cyclic intra macroblock refresh instead of
> periodical intra-frame refresh?
>
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Michael Joachimiak <mjoachimiak at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Bitrate fluctuation is normal in case of I-frame. I don't know if you can
>> do much about it apart from using rate control.
>> Do you use any rate control?
>> Instead of having periodical intra-frame refresh you could have cyclic
>> intra macroblock refresh. It means you do not refresh the whole frame at
>> once but you have some macroblocks forced to be encoded as intra in every
>> frame.
>> Thus the whole frame is intra-refreshed after some period of time.
>>

>> 2011/12/3 Umakant Goyal <umakantgoyal1 at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi Ashwini, I think you misunderstood me. Here i am not talking about
>>> picture size.I need to reduce the number of bits that is being produced by
>>> encoder to generate I-Frame. Please suggest how to reduce the number of
>>> bits for per I-Frame without loosing the quality much.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> --
>> Your Sincerely
>> Michal Joachimiak