DVB sub-pictures wrongly displayed

TruBzzz jfauffret at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 05:49:10 PST 2011

Hi GStreamer team,

I experienced issues while decoding DVB subtitles contained in mpegTS files:
Here is a sample of the rendering
http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/n4172790/dvbsub1.png
I used the 'dvbsuboverlay' element in following pipeline like
/// gst-launch -v filesrc location=video.mpg  ! mpegtsdemux name=d !
//               queue ! mp3parse ! mad ! audioconvert ! autoaudiosink d. !
//               queue !  ffdec_h264 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! r. d. !
//               queue ! "subpicture/x-dvb" ! dvbsuboverlay name=r !
ffmpegcolorspace ! autovideosink
/

It may be related or not, but I got this logs from the parser:
*/WARNING **: Parsing 2bit color DVB sub-picture. This is not tested at all.
If you see this message, please provide the developers with sample media
with these subtitles, if possible./*
If you are interested, I'll be able to provide a sample media with these
subtitles.

Furthermore, I notice that ffmpeg provide also a plugin 'ffdec_dvbsub' but I
didn't succeed to decode the same file with this decoder.
Because this ffmpeg dvbsub decoder correctly decode these subtitles in VLC,
I'll probably compare/merge the 2 plugins dvbsuboverlay/ffdec_dvbsub to make
it work.
Here is the expected behavior:
http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/file/n4172790/dvbsub2.png

Regards,