Compiling QtGstreamer on Mac OS X 10.6.8

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 07:42:12 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Karl Phillip <maxphil at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, the only thing that is printed to the console even with
> fatal-warnings enabled is:
>
> $ ./player --gst-fatal-warnings
> ASSERT: "ptr.m_class" in file
> /Users/karlphillip/installers/qt-gstreamer/src/QGst/Ui/../../QGlib/refpointer.h,
> line 333
> Abort trap

Well... OSX is using g++ and libstdc++, right? I've seen this bug a
lot of times and I've even documented it in the README:

"... if gcc is used as the compiler, libstdc++ version 4.5 or later is
required at runtime. This is due to a bug in earlier versions of
libstdc++ that sometimes makes dynamic_cast fail under conditions
where it should not."

In other words, your version of the standard C++ library is buggy and
there is nothing that can be done about it except for upgrade. Sorry.