signalling changes through a socket, is there alternatives?

ibrahim suliman iss_kh at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 02:05:30 PST 2011

Hi,

We have two machines on is a gstreamer server streaming mpeg4 video of different capabilities (resolution and frame rate) that can be adjusted dynamically while streaming, and the other one is a gstreamer client playing out the streamed video on the screen.  I need the gstreamer server to be able to immediately signal to the receiver any change made, in order for the receiver to display the changes on the screen. my approach is to create a socket connection between the server and receiver and do the signalling through it. We ended up havinga multi-threaded app of two processes one is the gstreamer process and one is the socket process. Any change to the streamed video at the gstreamer process (at the server side) immediately triggers the socket process to send a message informing the client about it.

I am quite a beginner in both gstreamer and socket programming but I feel that this approach in inefficient and there should be more efficient way to do this using gstreamer only. So the question is whether gstreamer provides a signalling mechanism between the server and its clients? If yes, please help and explain how to start learning so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ibra