problem in playing mp3 file using custom mp3 plugin in rhythmbox

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 21:01:38 PST 2011

Hmm... testing a *decoder* plugin within rhythmbox is a little
trickier than testing a sink.

What you can do (for debugging purposes only; not recommended for
production use because setting priority higher than GST_RANK_PRIMARY
is "unfriendly" to other plugins):

Set the priority of your plugin to be the highest, i.e. higher than
the existing mp3 decoders. No uninstall needed; just make your
priority higher. See GstRank documentation:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/GstPluginFeature.html
(Basically you can set your plugin priority to the maximum signed
integer, to all but guarantee that it will be chosen first; since
AFAIK all built-in plugins in gst-plugins-* only use at most
GST_RANK_PRIMARY, a paltry 256.)

You can test to make sure that your plugin is chosen automatically if
you change the rank:

gst-launch-0.10 --verbose filesrc location=some.mp3 ! decodebin2 !
audioconvert ! autoaudiosink

Somewhere in the verbose logs it should say what decoder was chosen by
decodebin2.

Rhythmbox uses playbin internally, which uses decodebin (I guess
whether it uses the "2" version depends on which version of Rhythmbox
you have). Regardless, all of these auto-plugging elements *should*
respect the rank of the plugins, so this should work. You can verify
with regular decodebin and playbin in a similar gst-launch pipeline.
If it works in gst-launch, it's working in Rhythmbox.

HTH,

Sean