Monochrome video in MXF

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue Dec 20 10:18:17 PST 2011

I'd like to store monochrome/grayscale video in MXF, and am looking at
the mxf plugin to do so. From what I can tell, no MXF implementation
supports this, at least from a web search and testing Adobe Premiere
and libav/ffmpeg. The MXF standard (377M) would seem to support 8-bit
(and higher) monochrome using the RGBA descriptor, or possibly the
CDCI (color-difference component image, e.g. YUV) descriptor. The
fourcc for 8-bit mono is Y800, which would seem to suggest using CDCI.
However the RGBA descriptor seems more appropriate to me, given that
monochrome isn't a standard CDCI format and it's a bit more
straightforward to implement.

Just wondering if anyone out there has an interest or insight on this.
Thanks,
-Josh