[gst-devel] High CPU utilization with audio encoding

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Feb 1 08:54:01 CET 2011

On 01.02.2011 02:41, mingqian Han wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am playing with a pipeline with texas instruments dm365 like:
> alsasrc->audio encoder->appsink, where appsink grabs the encoded data
> and sends it by RTP.
> The audio encoder is a mulawenc, but modified to use ittiam g.711 codec.
g711 is a trivial codec. please compare the performance also to the
unmodified g711 encoder that comes with gstreamer. Next compare the
results of using fakesink instead of appsink. Having a high cpu load
when actually doing something is not bad. If you want to make the
encoding more bursty you could use bigger buffers on the audiosrc side
and output several frames in one go from the audioencoder (using a
bufferlist).

Stefan