[gst-devel] GNonLin multiple streams within playback

Stephen McNamara steve.mcnamara at ultra-ccs.com
Wed Feb 2 18:13:14 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to use GNonLin to control the sending of files over the network.
The files are saved as mpeg 2 transport streams because we have video,
metadata and audio within them.

My question revolves around how to get multiple streams from a file through
GNonLin.  With our experimentation we can get GNonLin to output encoded
video data (in this case h264) across a udpsink but we have been unable to
get the multiple streams from the source files.

We have tried using caps to keep the data in mpegts format as it passes
through GNonLin but this causes all sense of timing to be lost and the data
- it plays back with milliseconds.

So it seems that the timing information for GNonLin playback is only valid
when the pipeline sees that video data is being passed through.  I guess it
assumes, or gets from the h264, a framerate and then attempts to maintain
that as data passes through to the sink.

In conclusion I have tried the following scenarios:

1. gnlfilesource -> (video/x-h264) -> gnlcomposition -> mpegtsmux -> udpsink
- works for video but looses other streams of data in the input files.

2. gnlfilesource -> (video/mpegts) -> gnlcomposition -> udpsink - no timing,
data is corrupt on receiption.

Does anybody have any suggestions of a good step to take to fix this
problem?  It seems like GNonLin should support multiple streams, otherwise
how could video+audio be played back together.  Suggests to me that I must
be doing something wrong, though I have been unable to discover what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Steve.