[gst-devel] how to handle a signal inside an element?

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:41:38 CET 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:47 AM, kevin kelly <go4save at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,there,
>
> I have a question about how the handle the signals inside an element.
>
> For example,  element A on the pipeline emitted a unique signal
> "MY_OWN_SIGNAL" and element B needs to do something via function
> process_on_my_own_signal() when it receive "MY_OWN_SIGNAL", how can I do
> inside element B? which function/API should I use?

I'd not suggest the usage of signals for inter-element communications,
as they're usually not synchronised with the data flow and, yes, the
logic to handle them could become somewhat complex. It's definitely
easier to accomplish the task by using events:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/pwg/html/section-basics-data.html

Regards