[gst-devel] Timeout in rtspsrc

Thierry Panthier thierry.devel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 00:41:41 CET 2011

Hi Marco,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. You were right I'm actually looking
for a way to handle the RTCP timeout for a specific SSRC.

> as you're likely using UDP as transport layer, RTP packets cannot be
> timed out (yes, it's an unreliable protocol). RTCP can help you here,
> as you'd just need to enable it and listen for (missing) Sender
> Reports, translated in "on-ssrc-active" signals from the session
> element in the GstRtspSrc (which is usually a GstRtpBin).

The problem is that the rtspsrc bin does not have this signal. And if
I try to connect to it I get:

       TypeError: <__main__.GstRTSPSrc object (rtspsrc0) at
0x919beb4>: unknown signal name: on-ssrc-active

The rtspsrc documentation says it is built on top of gstrtpbin but how
do I get access to it?

If could simply have access to the signals "on-ssrc-active" and
"on-timeout" that would be great.

However if the implementation does not allow me to do that then I
would like to know if it is possible to add an element to my bin to
detect a "frozen stream". I've gone through all the options given by
gst-inspect but couldn't find anything useful.

> RTCP packets are (usually) sent with intervals of 5s. If you want
> something faster, you can install a data probe somewhere in the pipe
> resetting a timeout each time a buffer transits through the pad. When
> the timer triggers, then a timeout occurred and you can unilaterally
> terminate the communication.

5s for me it's good enough for my application.

Thanks in advance,

Thierry