[gst-devel] problem building gst_plugins_ugly for Fedora 13

Howard how0909 at freeshell.org
Wed Feb 9 07:08:56 CET 2011

  Thank you both for the help.
I had some success so I thought I would post my experience for others.

I decided to build gst-plugins-ugly-0.10.14.tar.gz
as it seemed the closest datewise to my installed Fedora 13 gstreamer.

I solved the
configure: error: liboil-0.3.8 or later is required

problem by installing liboil-devel from my base repo:

yum install liboil-devel.i686  --enablerepo=fedora

I may have also needed gstreamer-devel from there too but am not sure
because I had already installed it by then. (below)

I also used this configure line:

./configure --prefix=/usr  --libdir=/usr

So make and install and test went well but rhythmbox would still not
play mp3.

-----

I also set up rpmfusion repo and attempted to install the
gstreamer-plugins-ugly
I disable all my repos, because I am on dialup, and enable only what I
want to use.

I foujnd that the fedora repo had the gstream-devel, gstream-good-devel,
gstream-bad.devel, and others which I installed then tried the build
above and then thi
s:

yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly --enablerepo=rpmfusion-free
--enablerepo=rpmfusion-free-updates  --enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree
--enablerepo=rpmfusion-nonfree-updates

This left me with only two deps:

Requires: libid3tag.so.0
Requires: libsidplay.so.1

This was solved by:

yum install libid3tag-devel.i686  libsidplay-devel.i686 --enablerepo=fedora

Then the above install gstreamer-plugins-ugly completed!

But rhythmbox still did not play mp3:(

Then I rebooted fedora and voila - mp3's will now play!

Thanks for pointing the way.