[gst-devel] Timeout in rtspsrc

Thierry Panthier thierry.devel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:55:11 CET 2011

Hi Marco,

After a few hours debugging the application and analyzing packets with
Wireshark I finally found the source of the problem.

The RTCP timeout (5s) works as expected and an EOS message is posted
on the bus to notify that the source has timed out.

However 'rtspsrc' has two other parameters - "tcp-timeout" and "retry"
- which are set to a very high value by default.

tcp-timeout : Fail after timeout microseconds on TCP connections (0 = disabled)
                   flags: readable, writable
                   Unsigned Integer64. Range: 0 -
18446744073709551615 Default: 20000000 Current: 20000000

retry           : Max number of retries when allocating RTP ports.
                   flags: readable, writable
                   Unsigned Integer. Range: 0 - 65535 Default: 20 Current: 20

So even though the absence of the sender is detected by 'rtpbin'
within 5s, 'rtspsrc' enters this retry cycle with a long TCP timeout
and consequently my application takes minutes to respond.

The best way to simulate all different scenarios was by using
'iptables' to block RTP, RTCP and then finally RTSP packets (simple
port based filtering).

Thanks for your help!

Thierry