Setting GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT for h264

Karen Schoener kschoener at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 13:35:40 PST 2011

Hi,

I notice that rtph264depay and h264parse decide how to set the
GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT differently.

Rtph264depay considers nal_types of SPS/PPS/IDR as key frames.  If a
GstBuffer contains a nal_type of SPS/PPS/IDR, rtph624depay unsets the
GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT.

H264parse checks both the nal_type and slice_type when deciding whether to
set the GST_BUFFER_FLAG_DELTA_UNIT on a GstBuffer.

I'm curious why h264parse doesn't rely on just the nal_type when deciding
whether a frame is a key frame.  It seems like rtph264depay and h264parse
should use the same logic to detect key frames.

Were there test scenarios where it was necessary for h264parse to check both
the nal_type and slice_type to detect key frames?  If so, then would it make
sense to update rtph264depay to also check both the nal_type and slice_type
to detect key frames?

I'm just trying to understand why rtph264depay and h264parse detect key
frames differently.

Thanks, Karen