Encoder confusion

Wesley J. Miller WMiller at sdr.com
Fri Feb 18 05:49:37 PST 2011

I am a little confused by the MPEG's and H26x's and would appreciate a bit of clarification.

MPEG2 and MPGE4 both say they are methods to encode both audio and video for transport.  So, am I correct assuming that I need to multiplex an audio stream (say, from alsasrc) and a video stream (say, from v4l2) before encoding the merged stream into an MPEGx stream?  Or do I need to somehow (what would be best?) encode both raw streams then multiplex those streams.

I am specifically looking at the RTSP example program test-video, which encodes the two streams and multiplexes nothing.  Does the RTSP server do the muxing for me or does it just send the two streams separately?  Would muxing the two streams and having only one PAY element make more sense?

Thanks,

Wes

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.