PyGST/S3 bug - import gst - causes S3.py failure - time formatting local

Matt Veenstra matt at tribalmedia.com
Wed Feb 23 13:01:47 PST 2011

The simple python program fails...if you import GST.

##############################
import S3
# import gst # uncomment and we fail with

BUCKET_NAME = 'tribal.bucket.int'
KEY_NAME = 'mylocation/my.ogg'

aConn = S3.AWSAuthConnection(AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID, AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY)
print aConn.get(BUCKET_NAME, KEY_NAME).object.data
##############################

Before importing gst the time formats in a 24hour clock.
time.strftime("%a, %d %b %Y %H GMT", time.gmtime())
'Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:26:00 GMT'

After the import it formats in a 12 hour clock.
'Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:27:36 PM GMT'

The code for S3 should be more explicit and look like this.
time.strftime("%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S GMT", time.gmtime())

But why/how does gst import change this?  I do not think it is
gstreamers job to change this.  Maybe I am mistaken.

Thanks,
Matt