[st-ericsson] v4l2 vs omx for camera

Hans Verkuil hverkuil at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 26 05:47:04 PST 2011

On Saturday, February 26, 2011 14:38:50 Felipe Contreras wrote:

> >> perhaps OMX should adapt some of the ideas from GStreamer ;-)
> >
> > I'd very much like to see GStreamer (or something else, maybe lower level, but
> > community-maintainted) replace OMX.
>
> Yes, it would be great to have something that wraps all the hardware
> acceleration and could have support for software codecs too, all in a
> standard interface. It would also be great if this interface would be
> used in the upper layers like GStreamer, VLC, etc. Kind of what OMX
> was supposed to be, but open [1].
>
> Oh wait, I'm describing FFmpeg :) (supports vl42, VA-API, VDPAU,
> DirectX, and soon OMAP3 DSP)
>
> Cheers.
>
> [1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/GstOpenMAX?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=gst-openmax.png

Are there any gstreamer/linaro/etc core developers attending the ELC in San Francisco
in April? I think it might be useful to get together before, during or after the
conference and see if we can turn this discussion in something more concrete.

It seems to me that there is an overall agreement of what should be done, but
that we are far from anything concrete.

Regards,

	Hans