[gst-devel] Play audio from a memory buffer?

bcg bradley.goldsmith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:35:35 CET 2011

Hi All,

This should almost be an FAQ but it's not in there so here goes:

I have a pipeline thus:

file-source ->  decodebin -> audioresample -> converter -> audio_output

Using location (or fd if I change file_source to a fdsrc) I can happily play
most audio I throw at it (including mp3s) providing its in a file. What I
would like to do is play from a memory location with the mp3 data already in
it.

I am assuming I would need to use a fakesrc with a callback to get my data
into the pipeline - I've tried lots of variations on this and gotten
nowhere.

Can I just replace the file-source with the fakesrc, load the data and go
(if this is possible couple someone provide an example)? Or do I have to
worry about queues and caps? If so, can someone provide an example? Will
decodebin suffice or will I have to be more specific?

Great software by the way, just tricky to use with mp3s (I know why...).

Thanks,
Brad