[gst-devel] Is RTSPU implemented in gstreamer? Can I use RTSP over UDP?

Mauro Brenna malloblenne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:49:24 CET 2011

Hello,

I am implementing a server which streams video using RTP. To read the
stream from a client I use gstreamer.
For the session protocol I would like to use RTSP and I am reading the RFC 2326.

I read in a passage that RTSP should be sent using TCP while you
should call RTSPU for UDP.
I'll cite from the RFC:

" The scheme rtsp requires that commands are issued via a reliable
   protocol (within the Internet, TCP), while the scheme rtspu identifies
   an unreliable protocol (within the Internet, UDP)."

I would like to know if the implementation of the RTSP provided by
gstreamer uses TCP or UDP.  Is it possible to use RTSPU with
gstreamer? Anybody knows if RTPS over UDP or RTPSU is supported in
other media player like vlc?

Thanks,

Mauro