[gst-devel] is it possible to set properties on request pads ( outside of using the caps functionality)

Johns Victor Victor.Johns at technicolor.com
Thu Jan 13 18:13:50 CET 2011

All,
   We have an application that would require to have a set of request pads. The properties of said pads need to be specified explicitly ( I believe in finer granularity than is possible using the gst_pad_set_caps()/ pad template functionality. As gstpads derive from Gobject, one thought is to extend the GstPad object w/in the element that is being developed. (say GstExtendedPad, which derives from GstPad)
1) Is this the correct way to approach solving this problem
2) If so, I believe from a c/c++ programming standpoint, the process of setting the properties on the request pads should be fairly straighthforward, my concern is how this manifests when using gst-launch i.e. is it possible to :
 a) request a pad of type GstExtendedPad and alsoset the properties of this pad using gst-launch
 b) are there any implications to the above approach to be aware of

Regards

Victor