[gst-devel] Is RTSPU implemented in gstreamer? Can I use RTSP over UDP?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:40:37 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Mauro Brenna <malloblenne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I think about your reply and I will implement a little rtspu (over
> UDP) client for my application since the server does not implement the
> TCP transport protocol.
>
> Reading the RFC, I believe that rtsp means RTSP commands are sent over
> TCP, RTSPU over UDP.
> The way to specify if the RTP data packets would be sent (TCP/UDP) is
> in the Transport Header as lower-transport. See RFC 2326, in section
> "12.39 Transport".

I think you misunderstood that part of the RFC, it talks about the
transport of RTP packets,
not RTSP.

> I think the two things are independently so you could have:
>
> RTSP (over TCP) + RTP data over TCP or UDP
> RTSPu (over UDP) + RTP data over TCP or UDP.

So how do you think it would work? you send the RTSP request over UDP?
How would you get the reply?
How does the server know where to send the reply to? How is this going
to work over NAT? What will happen
when the UDP packets get lost, duplicated or reordered? What would you
do if the RTSP request is too big to fit in
the MTU? What would you do if the reply is too big for the MTU? If you
manage to get RTSP over UDP
working, how and when are you going to open the TCP connection when
you decide to do RTP over TCP?

You need to answer those questions first before any of what you talk
about makes sense.

As I said: "I am not aware of any player doing the RTSP requests over
UDP nor is it clear
from the spec how this is supposed to work, or how a server should
support it. I don't know
why that part is in the spec or what it means."

Wim