[gst-devel] TCP Plugins w/ OpenSSL

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 18:30:25 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 11:58 -0500, Jim Muchow wrote:
> We’ve implemented OpenSSL in the TCP portion of the Base Plugins. We
> would like to contribute this code to the Gstreamer project, but we
> don’t know how. We also have some questions/concerns and some
> unfinished work.
>
> Rather than dive into the technical details, I’ll just leave it here.
>
> Comments? Questions?

You mean to tcpserver{sink,src} and tcpclient{sink,src}? I guess that's
a good idea in general but the problem here is, that the OpenSSL license
is not GPL compatible and as such this code can't live in
gst-plugins-base.

As alternative you could add a compile-time option to use either OpenSSL
or GnuTLS.

Apart from that it might make sense to create new elements for this in
-base, that share a lot of code with the TCP elements... instead of
having a enable-SSL/TLS property on the elements.