[gst-devel] What is 'stream time of the segment'?

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 09:21:07 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:13 PM, wl2776 <wl2776 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the article in the GTK-docs about GstSegment doesn't reveal
> too much details about GstSegment::time field.
> It says that it is the 'stream time of the segment'.
> part-segments.txt on the gstreamer/dosc/design/ doesn't mention it also.
> part-synchronization.txt says that the "stream time is also known as the
> position in the stream and is a value between 0 and the total duration of
> the media file".
>
> So, could anyone clarify if that definition of the stream time applies to
> the segment stream time?

I tend to agree with this definition. To rephrase what's in the
documentation, the "time" field in the GstSegment structure can be
seen as the position in the stream at which the segment takes place.

A better description on hot the start and time fields are to be
interpreted can be found at:

http://www.gstreamer.net/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstEvent.html#gst-event-new-new-segment-full

Regards