[gst-devel] Use of mp3parse in a commercial product

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 23:58:49 CET 2011

> I am not a lawyer, but the reason we put the plugin into ugly was that
> it could only be used with plugins we felt could have problems. That
> said we have actually discussed moving it to good at certain times as
> people who want to use it with a mp3 hardware decoder for instance,
> would find it useful. So as far as I can tell it would not be an issue
> for you to use this plugin in your product, same goes for the aacparser
> one.

If you are using a 'legal' decoding library you somehow already paid
for the right to use MP3-related patents. Seeking does not use any
other patents. Same if a hardware decoder is used, a license fee was
already paid to Thomson and others.
If you didn't pay any kind of license you would be in gray area even
before looking into seeking...
-Pierre