[gst-devel] GStreamer RTP e(X)tension bit and video specific fixed headers

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 22:02:39 CET 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 09:01 +0100, Marc Leeman wrote:
> I got a remark that our GStreamer based system does use 4 extra bytes
> after the RTP header while the X bit in the RTP header is not set. I did
> some digging and next to some remarks that the X bit is profile
> specific; I do not see in the relevant RFCs that the relevant bit needs
> to be set when adding the profile specific header.

There is RFC 5285 which you probably missed (it took me a while to
discover its existence too).

> Mostly, the RFC (e.g. 2250 for MPEG2) says some fields need to be so and
> so; but not that the X bit needs to be set.

The X bit is in many ways orthogonal to the format. So Payload-type
specific RFCs like 2250 don't tell you anything about it.

Unless you use an application specific extension of RFC 5285 based on,
the X bit should be 0.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk